So, just who is this crazy girl sharing her family’s dirty laundry for the world to see?
Okay, so I don’t exactly share my dirty laundry but I do share my family’s real budget along with our real life successes and failures with money for the entire world to see. So, why?
Because I want to encourage others to live life by a budget and to make managing their money a priority in their lives and the best way to do that is to showcase our little family’s life on a budget. I even developed a whole online course dedicated to walking others through the ins-and-outs of managing their money well. You can check out Real Life Money Plan™ here.
After failing with money in my early adult life, I was determined to accept the challenge that God had given me and turn my life around. My hubs and I have paid off over $55,000 of debt in 17 months. Now, the only debt we have left is the mortgage. You can read how we paid off over $5,000 of debt in one month here.
I’m from the great state of Georgia, born and raised. I’m the best “cooker” in the world according to my three year old and I have my mom and Grandmother to thank for raising me in the kitchen. I grew up driving trucks (my first car was a jacked up Dodge Ram…) and spending Sunday’s after church driving through the mud bogs. #bestchildhoodever
I graduated from Kennesaw State University in 2012 with my accounting degree. Although I am grateful for my degree and the many lessons learned from holding down a full-time career and a full class load, I wish I had been more patient in earning my degree so I wouldn’t have had to take out student loans.
I’m the big sister to a U.S. Marine and the daughter of the hardest working blue collar man and the most frugal woman on the planet. I’d seriously be lost without the support of my amazing family. Sadly, we lost my Daddy to cancer in June 2015, but I know one day I’ll see him again when I join him with our Heavenly Father.
I take my Catholic faith pretty seriously – even though when I married my husband, he didn’t believe in God at all. Thankfully, my husband is now a Believer and you can read more about our struggles with faith in our early days of marriage here.
We’re a one-income family, living off the fruit of my husband’s hard work providing for us. We have three kiddos – Conner (5), Collin (4), and Charlotte (18 months), and a dog that drives me absolutely crazy named Blue (she’s a Blue Tick Coonhound…we’re creative with dog names).
My hubs, Pat and I married in July 2009 in our $500 wedding ceremony and have been working on defeating the debt monster together ever since. We are currently working on paying off our mortgage so we can start saving up for our dream of owning our homestead. You can follow our goals here.
My “Professional” Stuff
In the “professional” world, I’m a personal finance coach, writer, speaker, and sought-after money expert. But, really I’m a girl that’s failed a lot with money and loves to help others. I take the whole “leading from the trenches” thing seriously so that’s what I strive to do here.
I run my business from home which allows me the best of both worlds – earning a full-time income and staying home with my three children. If you want to know more about blogging and earning an income from home head here for my blogging related posts.
My mission is simple. I want to serve others by helping them realize that money doesn’t control you – you control your money. It isn’t always easy to regain control, but it’s 100% doable. I know because I’ve failed more times than I can count with money.
I’ve been working hard to give back the fruits of my labor from this site. I believe we can change the world for the better by learning to control our money so we can give like never before…or at least that’s what I’m attempting to do.:) A few of the missions that I try to support with my business are: Catholic Charities USA; $10 Tribe; and Covenant House.
I would love to hear from you! Feel free to email me at email@example.com.
You can find a whole mess of awesome resources that I love and use on my resources page here.
Random Facts About Me:
1. I completely failed the parallel parking part of my driving test and I still can’t parallel park to save my life.
2. I have an irrational fear of cockroaches. Seriously. Spiders, I’m good with. A cockroach and I’ll burn the house down to get away.
3. You cannot play a Garth Brooks song in my presence and expect me not to sing…especially when that song is “Friends in Low Places”… the poor guy standing next to me doesn’t know what to think of my singing… 🙂
4. We are on baby steps 3 (halfway there!) and 6 from Dave Ramsey’s The Total Money Makeover — we don’t like to do things in order. 🙂
5. Homemade popcorn is my favorite food.
6. I would have a zillion children if my hubs would let me.
7. Accounting was the last thing that I thought I would get a degree in. It took me working in the “real world” to realize how much I loved accounting.
8. I suck at sports. I’m the worse person to have on your team because I’m so not athletically inclined.
9. I’m a huge history nerd and could spend hours discussing history with you.
10. I’m super impatient. God is teaching me a serious lesson in patience through motherhood.
11. My favorite movie of all time is Tremors. I know, I know, everyone thinks I’m crazy but I love that movie!
12. I’ll take a beer over wine any day.
13. I’m terrified of public speaking…so that’s why I torture myself and do it anyway. (The picture below is from my first “professional” speaking gig at FinCon15.)
14. My favorite smells in the world are a campfire, fresh coffee, and little baby feet. 🙂
15. I have only been outside the USA twice — once to St. Lucia and once to Mexico.
For more commonly asked questions that I’ve answered, visit this page here.
Enter your email address below and I'll email you the Excel template that we used to get out of debt!