Rice and beans, beans and rice. If you follow Dave Ramsey or have ever read his book, The Total Money Makeover, you’ve heard all about the Rice and Beans Diet. Dave says that if you need to get your grocery budget under control you can survive on different varieties of rice and beans.
And growing up, we ate a lot of rice and beans especially at my Daddy’s house – not because he couldn’t afford to buy something else but because it’s what he grew up on and he loved those recipes, especially the Cajun and Mexican ones.
This recipe is one that I make often for my family and even though my husband gets upset because it’s a meatless meal, he’ll eat it up for breakfast and my boys love this dish. You can top it with some cheese, sour cream, and even some avocados.
- 1 to 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup frozen corn (can sub in 1 can of corn)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (use 1 tablespoon if you like a spicier dish)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Prepare rice according to package directions adding chili powder and ground cumin to water as the rice cooks.
- In a large frying pan, saute onions and corn with olive oil until tender. Add in beans and garlic. Saute until blended. Keep warm.
- Once rice has cooked thoroughly, add rice to frying pan and saute together until blended.
- Serve with choice of toppings - sour cream, avocados, cheese, etc.
JOIN THE CHALLENGE!
Money controlling you? I know the feeling. My family has been living this real life on a budget for a long time and I can tell you that there's never a perfect season, but with a few changes you can start to reign in your money issues.
Join the 5-Day Challenge today and start getting your money life in order this week!