This is one of my own recipes from my “recipe vault”….which basically means that I have no idea where I acquired this recipe from…maybe my Grandmother???? Who knows. I just don’t know who to give credit to for this one. 🙂
First, allow me to tell you that this is a “southern style” skillet cornbread, not an authentic southern version.
What’s the difference?
The real deal McCoy uses buttermilk instead of whole milk and there’s no sugar used in the authentic southern version. Yes, you read that right – no sugar is used in the original, authentic skillet cornbread.
Anyhow, this recipe is easy, delicious and makes a great side dish to chili, stews, and of course BBQ! I only prefer using whole milk to buttermilk because I never have buttermilk on hand, but I’ve got plenty of whole milk! I highly recommend you find the oldest cast iron skillet you can find to make it in (the one I use is my Great Grandmother’s and has been feeding the folks in my family for more than a century).
- Some butter to coat the cast iron skillet (you can use cooking spray, but I don't recommend it. Just take some butter on a towel or paper napkin and wipe the inside of your skillet.)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil or shortening (melted)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- Heat oven to 425.
- Coat 8" or 10" cast iron skillet (or any ovenproof skillet) with butter.
- Place skillet in oven to heat.
- Beat egg in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal mix, milk, oil, and sugar just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Pour batter into heated skillet.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes for 8" skillet and 20 to 25 minutes for a 10" skillet or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
JOIN THE CHALLENGE!
Money controlling you? I know the feeling. My family has been living this real life on a budget for a long time and I can tell you that there's never a perfect season, but with a few changes you can start to reign in your money issues.
Join the 5-Day Challenge today and start getting your money life in order this week!